[Samba] samba client (NetApp->Solaris mount)

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Jul 13 20:09:00 GMT 2005

> We want to make use of the samba client to securely mount FS on our Linux
> and Unix Solaris computers from the central file server (NetApp).
>
> I am new to samba and trying to have some feel whether it is possible and
> what kind of issues we can expect to face in this project.

Linux will be able to mount your smb fileshares into the filesystem just
fine, though you may want to stick to the mount -t cifs rather than mount -t
smbfs.  Either way these kernel modules aren't maintained here, they are
part of the kernel.

That should lead to the rest of your UNIX network.  I can speak for Solaris
and say that there is no support for mounting smb shares built in.  AIX,
HP-UX, VMS, IRIX, whatever else, I have no idea about, but they are probably
in the same boat.

I thought somebody messaged me once saying that BSD had something for
mounting smb, but I could be wrong.