[Samba] xfs filesystem corruption

James Peach jorgar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 23:56:45 GMT 2005

On 7/13/05, mourik jan c heupink <heupink at intech.unu.edu> wrote:
> dear list.
>
> I was just wondering, is there anyone here using sles9 with xfs in an lvm?
>
> We had severe filesystem corruption on a server today, and only two
> things were changed: I updated via yast online update (lot's of updates,
> strange enough, including an lvm update) and I had to replace a drive in
> my hardware 6 disk raid array. (IBM 5i, raid 5)
>
> Now I was wondering what caused the corruption: the lvm updates, or the
> disk change... (or even something else..?) therefore I'm asking here...
>
> Anyone having xfs/lvm problems/corruption after the updates?

This could be a lot of things. If you lost a disk, it might be
possible for the volume rebuild to fail. Losing a drive at the same
time as an LVM update sounds a little fishy, but I don't have any
experience with LVM.

You might try asking the XFS folks on linux-xfs at oss.sgi.com. Someone
there will probably have some experience with the XFS/LVM combination.
You'll need to provide the output of xfs_growfs -n for the filesystem
in question, as well as the LVM config details and all the package
version numbers (ie. for the original LVM package and the one you
updated to).

James Peach | jorgar at gmail.com