[Samba] Strange winbind behavior with netbios name, perfect with ip address

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Mon Jul 11 09:02:23 GMT 2005

Hi!
Please verify, that in both cases kerberos authentication is used.
I'm not shure, if this the reason on your case, but maybe it's worth a
look - as I found completly different behaviour, when using ip-addresses
or hostnames to access a member server:

When joining the AD domain, a ticket with the hostname of the Samba
machine is created on the AD-Server.
When you connect to the server via \\ip-address\sharename, the client
tries to receive a ticket for a server with the name "ip-address (e.g.
192.168.3.188)".
The server does not have a ticket for this name (only for the hostname)
and returns a "have no ticket for this" error to the client.
Now your client tries the next method: NTLM, which might succeed.

In the other case, the AD-Server might pass your client a ticket, which
fails to be used for some reason. In this case, your client cannot get
its required access rights.

I've had cases where AD was completly broken - but I didn't recongize it
because I allways used \\ip-address\ to connect to the server.

Bye,
Martin

Martin Zielinski             mz at seh.de
Software Development