[Samba] net getlocalsid can't fetch domain SID?

Marshall Herington mherington at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 16:50:50 GMT 2005

I'm running into an odd problem with my installation of samba, version
3.0.13. Samba is configured to use the tdbsam backend and is running as a
PDC. The issue is that samba can't seem to report its SID correctly:

# net getlocalsid
[2005/07/08 12:27:30, 0] utils/net.c:net_getlocalsid(494)
Can't fetch domain SID for name: DOMSERVR

but, running an alternate command:

# net rpc info
Domain Name: DOMHQ
Domain SID: S-1-5-21-bunchofnumbersidontwanttoshare ;)
Sequence number: 1120840046
Num users: 66
Num domain groups: 10
Num local groups: 0

What's going on here? The name of the domain is, in fact, "DOMHQ" and the
name of the server is "DOMSERVR". Why is it trying to look up the SID of the
server rather than the domain?

Any insight on the this would be greatly appreciated.

Marshall