[Samba] Recycle option, Novell users can't use recyclebin

Dion ikdion at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 13:49:25 GMT 2005

Dear Samba users,

this is my first time in a mailing list so if this message should fall
in the wrong place, you know why ;).

The problem I'm having is as follows.

I have a Suse Enterprise Server 9 (kernel 2.6) with Samba version
"3.0.14-0.1-SUSE" running. I also have, on a Novell 6 server, a Novell
useraccount that is used throughout the company. To make things easy I
made a samba-user (and offcourse a Linux-user to go with it) with the
same name and password. That user, "Job", can read and write on my 2
samba shares. So if someone logs into their workstation and Novell
begins to mount multiple drives it can automatically mount the 2
samba-shares because the username and password are the same. The
employees that log in with the Job account can use the Recycle
function on the samba shares without a problem, they can delete things
and those will appear in the .recycle map on the share.
However I also have some other users who log into the Novell server
as, for instance, John and then use Job to log onto the samba shares,
Windows asks for a username and password when they connect to the
samba share and then remembers that each time they log in. Those users
however can delete all they want, their deleted stuff won't go into
the .recycle bin.

So the genuine Job user CAN use the recycle bin, but the users that
USE the Job account for access to samba, CAN'T. I can't seem to find
any documentation on this nor has anyone ever had this problem so it
seems.

I hope I can find the answer here.

Extra information:
[smb.conf]
# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE
# Date: 2004-06-30
[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        load printers = no