[Samba] NetBIOS Name Resolution Problem?

Darryl G. Thomas dgthomas at olg.com
Wed Jul 6 18:48:52 GMT 2005

All,

1.  Here is my network configuration:

One NT4 PDC

One NT4 BDC

Two Sun boxes, both configured as Domain Member servers running Samba version
3.0.10 providing file and print  sharing.

Three Windows 2000 boxes configured as Citrix servers

Two Sun boxes configured as Sun  Ray servers (used in conjunction with the
Citrix servers)

One UNIX box used as a DNS Master Server

One UNIX box used as a DNS Slave Server

One UNIX box used as an LDAP server

Several Mac OS 9 workstations

Several Mac OS X workstations

Several Sun workstations

Note:  At the moment there is no synchronization between the PDC/BDC and the
LDAP server.  All syncronization  (passwords, users, groups, etc are done manually).

2.  Problem:  My Windows 2000 clients can see and use all samba services
provided by both servers.  However, there appears to be NetBIOS resolution
problems at the PDC and BDC.

When running smbclient –L samba server on both samba servers, shares are listed.
 However, in the “work group” portion of the report I get the following result:

Session request to SAMBA_SERVER failed (Called name not present)
Session request to *SMBSERVER failed  (Called name not present)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled – workgroup unavailable.

The only reason I noticed this problem is that Mac OS X clients under
development could not connect to the samba shares.  However, Samba, as is, is
satisfying my user base with no problems.

3.  Troubleshooting

Both Samba servers passed ping tests.  To themselves, to the PDC and BDC, and
from the PDC and BDC to the Samba servers.

No firewalls are in use.

Ran testparm against the smb.conf file.  Passed.

Verified that the smbd and nmbd daemons were running on both Samba servers.

Ran nmblookup –B samba_server on both servers. Passed.

Ran nmblookup –B domain_controller ‘*’ on both the PDC and BDC.  Passed.

>From both Samba servers ran nmblookup –d 2 ‘*’.  Passed.

On both Samba servers, ran the smbclient test listed in the above problem
section with the noted results.

>From both the PDC and BDC, ran the net view command without any arguments.  Both
Samba servers were listed.

>From both the PDC and BDC ran net view \\samba _server and got the following error:

“System error 53 has occurred
The network path was not found”

Finally, I ran the smbclient and nmblookup tests on both Samba servers with a
debugging level of 4.  The tests produced the following fatal error:
“Error loading module ‘/usr/local/smaba/charset/
..so’.  The modules each server
was attempting to load were not in the /usr/local/samba/charset directory.

4.  Questions

Is this a hostname resolution problem?

Are the missing charset modules causing my problem?

Will a recompilation fix the problem, or will I have to do a complete
de-installation?

Is there a work-around?