[Samba] Samba bdc

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Wed Jul 6 05:19:16 GMT 2005

>> net setlocalsid your-sid-goes-here
>>

> Thanks for your help.  I think my PDC/BDC is working alright now.  I
> only see a couple of things I don't like.
>
> 1.  I login to the PDC, then log out from a windows client.  I then take
> Samba/LDAP down on the PDC.  I now log back in with the same user.  Here
> are the two problems that I notice.
>
>    A.  The explorer still shows the drives mapped to the PDC, even
> though, it created the batch file to map them to the BDC.  If I manually
> disconnect the drives and then login, I am fine. Any idea why the the
> drives are not redone on the windows client to point to the BDC?

I think the client won't notice if a server is down - you'd have to
reboot the Windows machine (at least that's my experience).

If you map more than one share with different credentials, it won't work
with WIndows.
If the shares are mapped already as Z: for example, you won't map
another share there.

Server crashes do not happen often, so it won't be a big problem for you
- unless it really crashes :)

>    B.  It takes a long time for the windows client to login (15 seconds
> or more).  If I browse a network drive, it also takes a long time for it
>  to show up the first time I browse it(10 seconds or more). If I close
> it and then browse it again, then it is quick.
>
> I can live with these, since I hope that my PDC will be up most of the
> time, but was just curious to why it would take longer.   If you have
> any ideas then I would appreciate the info.

for this one I think I already sent an answer (about WINS) to the list?

--
Tomek
WPKG - automated software deployment