[Samba] change machine password

Martin Petersen martin.petersen at picturepuzzlemedien.de
Sun Jul 3 12:55:14 GMT 2005

Tilo Lutz schrieb:
> Hi
>
> I use some programs to clone a windows workstation and
> duplicate it's image on other workstations.
> After cloning I change the workstation name and add a
> machine account on the samba pdc.
> Now I want to create a new password for the workstation
> account and store it.
>
> I use Suse Linux 9.3 as samba pdc. samba version is 3.0.13.
> How can I set the password for a workstation?
>
>>Notebook:/etc/samba # smbpasswd -m test
>>Failed to set password for user test$.
>>Failed to modify password entry for user test$
>
> I tried smbpasswd to change the password but this doesn't
> seem to work.
> Is there any other way to change the password?
>
> I know I can modify the file smbpasswd directly or change
> the password in ldap. But I want a clean solution working with
> every password backend.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tilo Lutz

As far as I know You need to set a system account. smbpasswd gives this
error because of the missing user entry for test$ in /etc/passwd.

Just add the user without shell and homedir and try smbpasswd again.

Hope this helps, please let me know I've You have another kind of setup
and You are sure that You don't need a plain system account for Your
machine accounts.

Martin