[Samba] print queue problems

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 16:44:39 GMT 2005

I have Samba 3.0.7 on a Solaris 9 box.  I have a printer share and can print to the
printer.

However, my Windows XP client does not remove the print job from its print queue
after the job has printed.

Also, the icon for the printer in the "Printers and Faxes" window shows "5" where
you would expect to see the number of print jobs, and hovering the mouse over it
brings up:

 Documents: 5

There are no jobs in the print queue on the Solaris system (lpstat -oprinter).

Where should I start looking to find out what is wrong?  It would help to know how
Windows gets the number of documents and what it checkes so that it can remove the
document from its list of print jobs.

Phil.