[Samba] winbind and distribution groups

Peter Kruse pk at q-leap.com
Mon Jan 31 09:14:31 GMT 2005

Hello,

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Peter Kruse wrote:
> |
> | Say, I create a "distribution group" on Windows ADS named
> | "distgroup" add as a member a security group named "secgroup" with a
> | user "robert" in it. Then when I look at the groups "robert" belongs
> | to, the group "distgroup" is not listed (checked with "wbinfo -r").
> | Even after "winbind cache time" has long expired ;)
>
> this is the different between a distribution group and a
> security group from what I understand.  The behavior is
> by design.

are you sure?  That means if I add read permissions (via ACL) to a
directory for group "distgroup" then the user "robert" still has no
access rights. Although he is member of "secgroup" which is a member of
"distgroup". This behaviour is intentionally "by design"?  What are
"distribution groups" then good for?

	Peter

--
Peter Kruse <pk at q-leap.com>, Chief Software Architect