[Samba] Problems with Browse List

Matthew Easton info at sublunar.com
Fri Jan 28 09:09:31 GMT 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 15:07, Marvin Bonilla wrote:
> Unable to resolve my problem after long time of reading and searching I
> decide to ask for help to the experts. The problems is that  there is no
> browse list even thought everything works fine. I can share files with
> others machines but don't see anything on network neighborhood. We use the
> OpenBSD 3.6 box with Samba 2.2 only for DNS and Wins.
>
> Please Help!

Did you paste your smb.conf file twice? You have duplicate sections

Try running the command "testparm" on the server and see what it says about
your configuration file

If your computers are all on the same subnet, you don't need "remote
announce".  If you do need "remote announce", the correct form of the part
after the equals sign is the IP address of the remote network(s)

>         # remote announce = 10.3.100.5 10.6.50.1 10.4.100.1 10.7.50.1
>          remote announce = yes

I'm not sure this "announce as" parameter is correct. I don't know if it makes
any difference... but it might.

>        announce as = NT Server

Check to see if your windows clients are actually configured to query the wins
server.

Do you in fact have an entry for "pcguest" in your /etc/password file?
Depending on the client OS, you may have trouble browsing shares if there is
no functioning guest account.  -- add pcguest if necessary, or comment out
the line and let samba use "nobody", which is the default.

> # Uncomment this if you want a guest account,
> # you must add this to /etc/passwd
> # otherwise the user "nobody" is used
>          guest account = pcguest

Take a look at the man page for "nmblookup".  Use this command to find the
master browser, query the master browser, etc.  I think the equivalent
windows command is "nbtstat"

Investigate the contents of wins.dat and browse.dat files on your server. They
can be deleted and smb/nmb restarted, then it may take about fifteen minutes
for new wins information to be re-established