[Samba] Any danger in having two shares with same name?

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 10:27:41 GMT 2005

AndyLiebman at aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Don't ask why I'm posing this question -- actually, I WILL explain below --
> but is there any danger in having two shares in Samba with the same name?
>
> Here's our situation. We have a bunch of production machines out in the
> field. On those machines, we are constantly setting up "special project shares" for
> each user (different from the user's Home directory) that refer to private
> directories only accessible by that user. We define those "special project
> shares" in a series of "smb.username.conf" files, where we also define which of
> hundreds of other shares are accessible to that user particular user. The whole
> process of setting up shares is highly automated from the point of view of the
> end user.
>
> By the way, we reference those "smb.username.conf" files in the general
> smb.conf file with the statement:
>
> include = smb.%U.conf
>
> ... so each user sees all the shares listed in their own "smb.username.conf"
> file as well as all the browseable shares listed in the general "smb.conf"
> file.
>
> This arrangement was working perfectly, until we were asked to turn some of
> the systems into Primary Domain Controllers and give hundreds of users roaming
> profiles. Our users now want the "special project share" for each user to be
> automatically mapped as the "P Drive" in Windows whenever a user logs on to a
> client system.
>
> However, we have found that Windows won't process any shares listed in the
> "smb.username.conf" directories while it executes the logon.bat script during
> log on. We know the logon.bat file IS being executed -- it syncs the client time
> with the server time, and it maps any shares we specify in the general
> smb.conf file. But it won't map any shares defined in those smb.username.conf files.
>
> Curiously, if we run the logon.bat file again about 10 seconds after log on
> has completed, it will map the shares listed in the smb.username.conf file!.
>
> As a workaround, we decided to take an alternate approach to defining the
> "special project shares". For each of the "special project shares" (that all
> users have) we put a listing in the general smb.conf file as follows:
>
> [Special Project Share A]
>     Comment = Special Folder A
>     path = /home/theboss/%U/Special Folder A
>     read only = No
>     write list = %U
>     guest ok = Yes
>     create mask = 0775
>     directory mask = 0775
>

> So now, we have two listings for "Special Project Share A" -- one in the
> user's smb.username.conf file, and one in the general smb.conf file.
>
> The question is, is there any danger of Samba or the Windows workstations
> getting confused? Each of these duplicate shares has the SAME NAME, and refers to
> the EXACT SAME DIRECTORY on the Linux box. And has the same access and
> [...]
I dont mean to be nosy, but why would every user need a copy of
smb.conf? Do they also run their own samba servers? It sounds like a
very interesting setup you have - what is the program that makes your
shares? Does it rewrite your smb.conf? Could you not just remove the
line "include = smb.%U.conf"? That way they would still get the project
share, and it would not matter about the customised smb.user.conf file.

PS I dont think duplicate entries in smb.conf will hurt. I just
discovered a duplicate in one of our include confs, and it was not
giving any errors. (include = %L.conf - for different netbios names) It
seems that the "last read" one is the one that is used.