[Samba] Best practices for long-running Samba server

Stuart Highlander fsb at ntwsdb.com
Tue Jan 25 13:56:18 GMT 2005

misty,

i, too, have experienced some browsing issues since upgrading to samba
3.0.7-2 on an FC1 server.  the server stays up in terms of months than days
(thanks samba team).

restarting smb on the wins server every day seems to have eased this problem
for me. for a baling wire fix, i set up a cron job to restart smb on my
samba wins server when my users are not on my system every day.  this seems
to have "fixed" my browsing issues.

even when i have restarted smb on a server with users on the system, the
effects on my users have been almost nil.  my setup is not very
sophisticated, so i do not know how it would effect your situation.

if you have users on the system all hours of the day, then this may not
help.

stuart