[Samba] Serious problem with samba & macintosh

Kenneth Karlsson kenneth at bytewize.com
Mon Jan 24 12:54:43 GMT 2005

I am at present running samba 3.0.10 (Solaris) with a mixed invironment
with macs (panther) and pc's.

If I open a word document on a mac then a temp file which starts with ._
is created.
When I close the document this temp file is not removed and the next
person to open the original document can't save any changes.
If I remove the temp file by hand then I can save the original document.
If I try to force the mac to save the changes then the original file
gets deleted.

A printout from smbstatus shows that the lock on the temp file remains
active even though the original has been closed.

15899  DENY_NONE  0x3         RDWR       NONE
/export/gant/prod dev
avd/fall 2005/._ss comments men.doc   Mon Jan 24 13:27:24
2005
11246  DENY_NONE  0x1         RDONLY     NONE
/export/gant/prod dev
avd/fall 2005/._ss comments men.doc   Mon Jan 24 07:38:58 2005

Is there anyone who has managed to solve  this problem?

Regards Kenneth Karlsson