[Samba] OT - Software deployment

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Mon Jan 17 22:48:01 GMT 2005

Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > I have been fishing through the archives and have not found a lot of
posts about this that were not 'golden oldies.'  Do you guys use
anything other than brute force to deploy software and updates to your
client PCs?  I would be interested to know what you are using, whether
you use it for initial OS install, software deployment/upgrades, or
other things, and roughly how much it costs.  Also how many PCs you
maintain.  My preferences of course run to the free and Opensource
options, but I am not sure how far they can take me.

If I understood you right:

1) for initial OS and software installation there is Unattended -
http://unattended.sourceforge.net

2) for easy software deployment / software installing / removing /
upadting on many workstations there is WPKG - http://wpkg.sourceforge.net

Both are opensource and free, and will just cost your time.

Tomek