[Samba] multi-homed server: trouble hiding private interfaces

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Thu Jan 13 17:48:54 GMT 2005

How can I effectively and completely hide private interfaces on my Linux
Samba servers?  (PDC and file server)

Even when I use the "interfaces" option and even "bind interfaces only",
  "net lookup dc" still returns IP addresses from the private
interfaces, and for that matter another machine that is not even running
Samba (once was, no longer).  Seems like the info is cached somewhere I
don't know of.  I'm running Samba 3.0.7.

My PDC's interfaces are as follows (eth0 is down and unused):

eth1: 192.168.10.193/24
eth1:0: 192.168.10.230
eth2: 192.168.20.2/24

Another machine that backs up the PDC - normally not running samba at
all, but takes over the .230 address if the PDC goes down has:

eth1: 192.168.10.194/24
eth2: 192.168.20.1/24

When I type net lookup dc, here's what I see:
192.168.10.230
192.168.10.193
192.168.10.194
192.168.20.1
192.168.20.2

Ideally I'd like to have it show just the .230 address.  Beats me where
all the others are coming from.  I've tried:

interfaces = 192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1
bind interfaces only = Yes
  - seems to actually hose things up; clients say a DC is not available

interfaces = 192.168.10.230 127.0.0.1
bind interfaces only = Yes
  - works ok but I still see output from net lookup as above and clients
trying to talk to the .20 network

interfaces = eth1* 127.0.0.1
bind interfaces only = Yes
  - same result as #2