[Fwd: Re: [Samba] force create mode]

Patrick McSwiggen Pat.McSwiggen at uc.edu
Tue Jan 11 19:51:05 GMT 2005

On Jan 11, 2005, at 4:13 AM, Patrick DUBAU wrote:
> Thanks Bart for your answer.
> I did what you say force create mode = 0770   (default creat mask =
> 0744)
> but the files that are created are still with the rights rwx rwx r--
>
> Strange !
>
> Bart Hendrix a écrit :
>
>> Hi Patrick,
>>
>> Try to use the following in your smb.conf.
>>
>> force create mode = 0770
>>
>> Greetz Bart
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick DUBAU"
>> <patrick.dubau at alsace.iufm.fr>

"create mask" *removes* permissions. "force create mode" *adds* them.
To quote from the man page for smb.conf

   This parameter [create mask] may be thought of as a  bit-wise  MASK
   for  the  UNIX  modes  of  a  file. Any bit *not* set here will be
   *removed* from the modes set on a file when it is created.

So if you don't want the o+r bit set use:

   create mask 0770

If you now want to force ug+rwx permissions for all files, *also* use:

   force create mode 0770

Another way of thinking about these is that "create mask" sets an upper
bound on the permissions for the file and "force create mode" sets a
lower bound, and the actual permissions are in between. (Except that
force create mode is applied second, so if it is more permissive than
the create mask, force create mode will override create mask.) Note
that neither of these apply to directories. The analogous parameters
there are "directory mask" and "force directory mode".

Patrick D. McSwiggen                            pat.mcswiggen at uc.edu
Mathematical Sciences                            513-556-4080
University of Cincinnati                         513-556-3417 FAX