[Samba] Excel "file may have been modified by another user since"with Samba 3.0.10

David Landgren landgren at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 17:02:41 GMT 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:24:00 -0500 (EST),
mrojava4 at eastgranby.k12.ct.us <mrojava4 at eastgranby.k12.ct.us> wrote:
> You may also want to read article 324491 at support.microsoft.com.  It
> applies to Excel 2002, but may be pertinent.

Oops, I got the exact message wrong, I'll restate it here so that web
searches can find it:

The file (foo.xls) may have been changed by another user since you last saved it

Thanks for the link, it may indeed relate to my problem. Anyway, in
the meantime, while poring over samba logs, I found aawful hack, and
that is to add

    veto oplock files = /*.xls/

to the [globals] section of smb.conf. That's pretty suboptimal, but it
gets the users off my back. There must be a better way.

Thanks,
David