[Samba] Multiple winbindd processes

Sridhar.Venkatakrishnan at trilogy.com Sridhar.Venkatakrishnan at trilogy.com
Tue Jan 11 04:16:07 GMT 2005

Hi,

I had posted in the technical list about this sometime back. However, I
don't think anything was available at that time, so I went ahead and wrote
a small patch that allows multiple winbindd process to run at the same
time :) . What it does is to create a seperate pipe for each winbindd
process. However, this would need a patch for the nss library as well and
I've only worked out a patch for the linux nss library. I'd also added a
couple of extra parameters to the smb.conf file that allowed for
specification of a list of domains that could be veto-ed or allowed. I
could send you the patch if you're interested.

Sridhar

Vladimir Levijev <dimir at rul0r.com>
Sent by: samba-bounces+sridhar.venkatakrishnan=trilogy.com at lists.samba.org
10/01/2005 11:10 PM

        To:     samba at lists.samba.org
        cc:
        Subject:        [Samba] Multiple winbindd processes

Hi,

My problem is that I'd like to have one GNU/Linux box with Samba installed

serve multiple domains.

I have 2 Domains separated from each other. Connected Samba box to both
domains and joined them successfully. Running 2 smbd and 2 nmbd processes
bound to the appropreate network interface, with different settings
serving
appropreate domans.

Samba server is visible in both networks but here is the problem. I can
start
2 winbindd processes for each domain controller, but only one is actually
working. So only users from that one are able to authenticate. Using
'lsof'
showed that both winbindd processes are connected to the pipe, but only
the
last one started is actually listening to requests?

The question is, what do I need to do to make 2 winbindd processes work
simultaneously? Is there a solution available, or I will need to write a
patch for winbind?

TIA,

--
[vl at dimir]#