[Samba] Kerberos and Samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 7 20:40:07 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 17:50 -0600, Ganeshram Iyer wrote:
> Hello all
> I am running a RHEL AS server. I want to make this a Kerberos KDC
> against which all windows clients can authenticate.

There are two ways to do this:

You can use an MIT KDC, in the way described by Microsoft, but this has
nothing to do with Samba, and in fact is not compatible with Samba CIFS
access (bugs, mostly simple...).

The other option is to use Heimdal kerberos, and back that onto your
Samba LDAP sever.  That way, you use the same passwords for both.  Then
your Unix clients can use pam_krb5, and your windows clients can use
Samba Domain authentication.

https://sec.miljovern.no/bin/view/Info/HeimdalKerberosSambaAndOpenLdap

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org