[Samba] Migrating from NT4 to samba (do I still need a domain?)

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Jan 5 19:38:44 GMT 2005

Paul Smith wrote:

>We have a couple of NT4 boxes I'd like to replace with a single samba
>box.  One is a PDC (no BDC) that now does nothing but handle
>authentication for the other box which is just an NT4 member server with
>a big hard drive and a whole bunch of shares.  There are also a few
>printers that are littered around the place connected to various Windows
>(2000 and XP) client machines and shared across the network.
>
>I'm thinking this is possible with just one samba box and share level
>security?

Withouth a domain, where will your user definitions come from?  Do
people log in with the 'this computer' entry or are they logging in with
your domain specified?  If you don't have a domain then you will have to
run around and make users on all the workstations.

>Will there be any issues with the printers if there isn't a Windows
>domain - this is where cups comes in, right?

Printing doesn't need a domain, but having login scripts that map those
printers and connect drives and such does require the domain.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322