[Samba] Samba 3.0.11 port and install issue to solaris 8

Ray Martin ray.martin at anu.edu.au
Mon Feb 28 03:57:25 GMT 2005

Hi  Samba Team

I have ported samba  3.0.11 to Solaris 8 because of the security warning
for Samba 2.2.8a
but it will not start from inetd.  I have taken 3 weeks to find that it
starts OK as a standalone daemon
using a startup script  /etc/init.d/samba

#!/bin/sh

# Samba startup

case $1 in
        'start')
                echo "Starting smbd..."
                /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd -D
                echo "Starting nmbd..."
                /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd -D
                ;;
        'stop')
                echo "Stopping smbd and nmbd..."
                /usr/bin/pkill -x -u 0 smbd
                /usr/bin/pkill -x -u 0 nmbd
                rm -f /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid
                rm -f /usr/local/samba/var/locks/nmbd.pid
                ;;
        *)
                echo "usage: smb {start|stop}"
                ;;
esac

The accompanying web pages indicate that the daemons are in
/usr/local/samba/bin which is incorrect.  They are in fact installed to
/usr/local/samba/sbin.  I suspect unless it is standalone on solaris 8
it gets thoroughly lost.  I also suspect it is going back into the
source for some modules and if they are not readable by all then it will
fail.

--
Ray Martin
Unix Administrator (IT)