[Samba] LDAP compatible

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sat Feb 26 09:55:33 GMT 2005

Craig White:

[...]

>> 1: LDAP is the be-all and end-all. If any service whatsoever does not
>> work with LDAP, it is worthless, for me. For me, "LDAP" is synonymous
>> with OpenLDAP.
>>

>> 2: the only stable, recent version of OpenLDAP (as announced by
>> openldap.org) is 2.2.13. OL 2.1.22 is demonstrably buggy and will
>> ultimately fsck up your system. The latest, stable, version of 2.1 is
>> 2.1.30 and even that is deprecated and obsolete (source: openldap.org).
>>

>> 3: learn OpenLDAP before you learn Samba, Postfix, Courier IMAP, pam,
>> nss, - whatever. Learn that OpenLDAP 2.2.23 needs Sleepycat BDB 4.2.52
>> (2 x
>> patched), maybe Cyrus SASL 2.1.20. Furthermore, that you need to
>> configure DB_CONFIG to use it at all.
>>
> ----
> I'm quite certain that Tonni meant to say only stable version of
> openldap is 2.2.23 and of course none of the current "distributions" of
> Linux package that version yet.

Actually, what I meant to write, was that in my experience the only stable
versions (DB not subject to continual corruption, memory leaks, server
on/off button pressing does not corrupt database, etc.) was reached at
2.2.13.

2.2.17 gives months (at least 3) of uptime without trouble and, of course,
2.2.23 is the bee's knees, with even more bugfixes - though no new
"features".

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl