[Samba] Debugging Privilege and Samba 3.0.11

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 25 18:58:32 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 13:48 -0500, JLB wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Thierry wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:25:14 +0100
> > From: Thierry <Thierry at echotech.ch>
> > To: samba at lists.samba.org
> > Subject: [Samba] Debugging Privilege and Samba 3.0.11
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am striving to give out globally to our developers a way to debug
> > their C++ applications, but I do not want to give them Admin rights on
> > the individual workstations.
>
> You're foolish if you think anyone with local access to a workstation
> can't get into the Admin account on their local machine.
>
> Here is a boot disk suitable for changing or blanking the Administrator
> password on any NT box:
>
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>
> Here is a boot disk suitable for mounting Linux partitions and editing
> /etc/passwd and/or /etc/shadow:
>
> http://www.toms.net/rb/
>
> Here is a tool that lets you remove or alter BIOS passwords:
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?cmospwd.html
>
> Here is a provider of screwdrivers. Screwdrivers let you physically reset
> BIOSes, remove or replace drives, install logging devices, etc.:
>
> http://www.homedepot.com/

----
enjoyed the post but I don't think that is what op meant. Generally, I
would think that if they were 'Power Users' members on local machines,
they could do C++ debugging. There's all sorts of reasons
(spyware/viruses) not to give more privileges than necessary and not
just to lock them out of their boxes.

Craig