[Samba] Printer Connection - Time Sync

Dr. Marcus A. Hubert hubert at uni-bonn.de
Fri Feb 25 14:51:47 GMT 2005

Hi, mailing list,

I'm running Samba 3.0.7 on a SuSE 9.2 with W2K and WXP clients.

Establishing a connection to a network printer works fine when I use the
windows explorer (right click on the printer share -> connect). The
connected printer can be used with all windows applications.

But now I want an automatic connection. So I have written a logon script
using the 'net use \\server\printer' command. But in this case the
printer is not browsed in the printer dialogue of any application. On
the other hand the printer is listed when I type 'net use' at the
command prompt, but is does not work with applications. Any ideas
regarding this problem?

Furthermore I try to synchronise the client time with the server time by
running 'net time \\server /set /yes' during the logon process. But
since the ordinary user can't change the system time this doesn't work.
Is there any possibility to change this user right or to run the logon
script with administrator rights without changing the local client
configuration? I've been searching for a group policy that controls the
rights for changing the system time, but all I have found was a local
policy that can only be changed when sitting in front of the client.

Thank you and best regards

Marcus

Dr. Marcus A. Hubert		E-Mail: mailto:hubert at uni-bonn.de
Pharmazeutisches Institut		mailto:marcusahubert at yahoo.de