[Samba] Samba Best Practices -- Integration with Active Directory

Mark Irving marki at cumcmemphis.org
Tue Feb 22 17:03:00 GMT 2005

 Way too much trouble maintaining two sets of passwords. I have a
similar setup and use Samba in ADS mode with winbind. This way I don't
have to create new accounts on the fileserver nor have to keep up with
any kind of password synching. More secure too since you don't have
passwords floating around and also because one tends to have a never or
rarely changing password policy since it is so much trouble. About the
only thing that I have to fiddle with some is the permissions on the
file server.

Also I am curious why you are running Websense on a W2K3 server. IMO
Squid and Dansguardian do a much better job of filtering, you don't have
to have a beefy machine (mine is a P3-800Mhz/512M RAM), and you don't
have to pay the yearly fees either. It also give you the ability to
quite easily have a backup server on another machine in case your main
one is down.

Mark Irving