[Samba] fast reads, slow writes

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Thu Feb 17 14:01:49 GMT 2005

Hi Karel,
upgrade samba
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/samba/3.0/x86_64/
as well there a perfomance issues known to the webclient service
in win xp , so just stop it.
slow down logging at samba , try set sendfile parameter to no,
read
http://info.ccone.at/INFO/Samba/speed.html
check your nic ,switching, firewalling ( if exist )
try settings like this
[bigshare]
~         path = /home/jeremy/tmp/manyfilesdir
~         read only = no
~  	case sensitive = True
~         default case = upper
~         preserve case = no
~         short preserve case = no
Best Regards
Robert

Karel Rericha schrieb:
| We have two SUSE SLES 9.0 x86-64 servers on gigabit network, one with
| RAID1 and samba 3.0.4,
| and one with RAID10 upgraded to samba 3.0.9. Both have the same problem:
| when you copy from
| server to client, speeds are on big files about 40MB/s for RAID1 and
| about 60MB/s for RAID10.
| But when you copy to server, speed are about 8MB/s. I have set up ftp
| servers on them just to try
| ftp protocol upload, and  it is happy full speed both directions.
|
| After few hours of googling, I found "security = share" hint, which
| didn't help, and after little more
| time "use sendfile  =  yes" hint, which helped little bit, speeds are
| now 10-12MB/s, but still not
| acceptable.
|
| We don't intend to use samba servers as PDC, but just only as workgroup
| NAS.
|
| Original smb.conf is attached (before security and sendfile tweaking).
|
| One more question: does anybody know good utility to test speed of
| remote volumes ?

- --
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Best Regards