[Samba] Fedora SRPM and cups-devel

Josh Kelley josh at jbc.edu
Mon Feb 7 19:14:48 GMT 2005

Why doesn't samba.org's source RPM for Fedora list cups-devel as a
BuildRequires?  Red Hat's/Fedora's version of the source RPM does
require it.  Not requiring it and leaving --enable-cups as auto means
that the resulting RPM's features depend on which machine it's built on;
that seems incorrect to me.  I've noticed that some RPMs control which
features are built into the RPM by putting defines and conditionals into
the spec file; that seems to me like a cleaner way to support people who
don't want to use CUPS.

I upgraded our print server to Samba 3.0.11 this weekend to fix some of
the print server bugs we've been seeing, but I accidentally built the
RPM on a machine that didn't have cups-devel installed and broke
printing completely.  If cups-devel was listed as under BuildRequires,
that would have caught my mistake and saved me some embarrassment.

Thanks.

Josh Kelley