[Samba] cann't get cups printrers visible to windows XP

tj 999alfred at comcast.net
Mon Feb 7 01:38:51 GMT 2005

I am having an awful time getting a cups printer on a linux system
visible to windows XP. I have the printer, a brother hl1440 laser,
working on Linux cups,named 1440. I then created another printer on it
called raw-1440 and specified raw driver so teh Windows XP driver would
be used. Here is my smb.conf entries:
load printers = yes
printcap name = cups
printing = cups

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = yes
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes

and then I restart samba.

I then go to the windows system and to install network printer and
browse for printer. The workgroup and the samba running Linux system are
listed but no printers.

Where the hell is my printer?

the samba user guide states:

The printer drivers on the Windows clients may be installed in two
functionally different ways:

    *

      Manually install the drivers locally on each client, one by one;
      this yields the old /LanMan/ style printing and uses a
      \\sambaserver\printershare type of connection.

    *

      Deposit and prepare the drivers (for later download) on the print
      server (Samba); this enables the clients to use “/Point'n'Print/”
      to get drivers semi-automatically installed the first time they
      access the printer; with this method NT/200x/XP clients use the
      /SPOOLSS/MS-RPC/ type printing calls.

The second method is recommended for use over the first.

I am trying to use the first and have no freaking idea what the "old
lanman style" is.

Once again, linux documentation that assumes you already know everything.

So, how do I get the samba printer seen by Windows?

tj