[Samba] Shares of Logged Out Users Still Visible By Next User

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 04:32:33 GMT 2005

Hi.

I'm running Samba 3.0.2 (a?) on Linux.  For the most part, it's working
great. I have set up Samba as a PDC and also just as a workgroup server.

However, under both scenarios I'm seeing a troublesome behavior with Windows
XP machines that have many users who frequently log on and log off.

If User A logs off Windows XP and User B logs on 30 or 40 seconds later,
sometimes User B can see and access private shares that only User A is authorized
to see or browse or read or write. It seems that User A's shares will
disappear from the Samba Server after a few minutes -- but during those first minutes
after logging on, User B can see both HIS shares and User A's shares. During
the transition period, User B can actually copy or delete anything he wants
from User A.

Anybody have any clue what's going on and how to prevent it? Is the problem
on the Samba side or on the Windows side. In my particular application, this is
a very dangerous situation.

Andy Liebman