[Samba] Re: Samba and NUL characters

Matteo D'Amato matteod at smartbox.ca
Wed Dec 28 15:00:34 GMT 2005

Hi,
	We have a Windows NT 4 SP5 sharing a read-only share of logs
that are constantly being written to and a Linux box running CentOS
release 4.2 (Final) that mounts this share. The share in mounted using
the following command:

smbmount //cdn-mtl-ms/Logs /mnt/logs -o
sockopt=SO_KEEPALIVE,username=user,password=pass,ro,uid=503,gid=503

smbmount -v shows --> Version 3.0.10-1.4E.2

We notice a problem when we try do a tail -f on a file through the
share. It seems that part of the lines gets replaced by ^@ or NUL
characters. We only see this when we redirect that tail -f output to a
file since NUL in non printable, the terminal just shows truncated
lines. This is working perfectly on another Linux box running Red Hat
Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 3) with version 3.0.6-2.3E
of samba. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue. Thanks

--

Matteo D'Amato
Manager, Systems Applications & Development