[Samba] Active Directory and Samba 3.0.20

Vijay Avarachen vavarachen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 03:09:49 GMT 2005

Does TACOMANEWS allow anonymous binding to it Active Directory LDAP?  If not
you need to set a authuser (wbinfo --set-auth-user).  Also you can determine
if it support anonymous bind or not by running simply queries using
ldapsearch with and without -D option.

On 12/20/05, Rich Bonfoey <Rich.Bonfoey at thenewstribune.com> wrote:

> This is a new install with a very novice samba user .  We are running
> samba
> 3.0.20 on a Solaris 9 server.  We have 3 domains controllers - 1 old NT
> and
> 1Win 2000 Active Directory and 1 Win 2003 Active Directory.  The support
> group that
> administers the domains, have a limited skill set.  If its not Windows
> they
> have nothing to contribute.
>
> The Domain Controllers are called
> TACOMANEWS - Win 22000
> TACOMA  - Win 2003
> IS_DEPT - NT4
>
> When running wbinfo -m on TACOMANEWS it sees IS_DEPT and TACOMA
> When running wbinfo -m on IS_DEPT it sees TACOMA
> When running wbinfo -m on TACOMA it sees TACOMANEWS and TACOMA
>
> Checking users in all the domains, the only users that are seen are the
> ones
> in the IS_DEPT and TACOMA.  Even when joined to TACOMANEWS, it shows no
> users for this domain.  There are at least 80 users in the TACOMANEWS
> domain.
>
> I think there should be users showing for TACOMANEWS, but our support
> group
> does not know why.
>
> Can anyone offer some insight or point me to some documentation on the
> issue.  I have googled a lot but haven't found what I need.  Samba is
> running as a member of a domain.  Below is my smb.conf file, this is very
> generic.
>
> Thanks for any and all help
>
> [global]
>         force directory mode = 775
>         create mode = 777
>         acl compatibility = auto
>         dns proxy = no
>         force create mode = 775
>         encrypt passwords = yes
>         idmap gid = 10000-20000
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>         max log size = 50
>         password server = *
>         idmap uid = 10000-20000
>         writeable = yes
>         directory mode = 777
>         security = DOMAIN
>         winbind use default domain = yes
>         server string = zThorin
>         workgroup = TACOMANEWS
>         local master = no
>         log level = 1
>         print command = lpr -h -r -P%p %s
>         netbios name = zthorin
>         log file = /usr/local/samba/var/%m.log
>         os level = 20
>
> [Fango]
>         path = /fango/gongo
>         printable = no
>         public = yes
>         create mask = 777
>         directory mask = 777
>

> Richard Bonfoey
> The News Tribune
> Information Systems
> Successfully Meeting the Business Needs of
> The News Tribune through Information Technology
>

> Richard Bonfoey
> The News Tribune
> Information Systems
> [...]

"Knowledge is the only wealth that grows as you spend it, and diminishes as
you save it."
-- ancient Sanskrit saying