[Samba] smbclient lookup fails when querying local machine

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Mon Dec 19 23:49:04 GMT 2005

> I can telnet to 139:

Hmm, that's bizarre.  It seems like smbd is ignoring the connection on
purpose.  I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.  You could try adding "hosts
allow = 127." line to smb.conf just in case (along with your other
subnets so they can still access the server) however I don't think it
would make much difference.

I would suggest getting hold of a packet sniffer like Ethereal just to
see what's going on, but I suspect all you'd see is the initial request
being sent on port 139 and then nothing further.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Cheers,
Adam.