[Samba] Password Policy in Samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 19 16:18:19 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 13:40 -0200, Marcelo Gonçalves Diotto wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>     I have a domain with Samba 3 + OpenLDAP and i would like to create a
> password policy, for example:
>     - At least 8 characters
>     - Different from the last one
>     - At least 2 numbers
>
> Does anyone knows how do i do it?
> Thanks

The way I do this is via the 'check password script' option.  If you see
the smb.conf manpange, there is the example usage.  The crackcheck
source is in example/auth in your samba tarball.

This checks for password complexity (and is very nasty, also no
dictionary words etc), but not difference - that is configured in the
account policy.  I think that's all documented in the Guide.

Andrew Bartlett