[Samba] Samba over PVFS: Corrupted Data

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Dec 19 16:01:27 GMT 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:11:10AM -0500, Justin Mazzola Paluska wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 09:46:08AM -0800, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > The Samba 3.0.13 would be the first thing I would fix.  Samba 3.0.21 is
> > about to be released, and with oplock rewrites and other things since
> > 3.0.13, it should provide a better basis for distributed filesystem
> > work.
> >
> > My guess is that the lack of posix locking is causing Word to fail, as
> > it uses a lot of locks.
>
> I upgraded to 3.0.21rc2 last night and still have the same problems,
> though I kept much better records of what's going on, so maybe that
> helps.
>
> 1.  Corruption of PDF files.
>
>     Copying PDF files from my Windows desktop to the Samba share
>     results in corruption.  It looks like only the beginning of the
>     file is getting corrupted.  For example, the file normally starts
>     with:

Get an ethereal trace and debug level 10 of this and then do an
md5 checksum of a truncated copy of the start of the file - say
512 bytes then 1024 bytes then 2048 and binary chop until you
find the sizer that's being corrupted.

Samba works well with many network filesystems so it's doubtful
this is a Samba bug (although anything is possible :-).

Jeremy.