[Samba] Replacing debian packages with compiled source

Derek Croxton croxton3 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 19:57:28 GMT 2005

The Samba that is packaged for Xandros 2.0 seems to be broken; at least,
mine keeps giving me "segmentation fault" errors.  I've tried wiping it
out and re-installing it, but it hasn't helped.

Recently I decided to get the latest version of Samba and compile it
from source, which, to my amazement, actually worked.  Now, before I try
"make install," I would like to know:  which existing packages do I need
to remove?  I know the base samba package will have to go, but I don't
know which other ones also have to be deleted, versus which ones are
actually separate -- for example, I think smbclient is separate, but I'm
not sure.

I presume "make install" will overwrite any files in the way, but I'd
rather clear out the old stuff before doing the install.  On the other
hand, I don't want to remove related packages that I need to use Samba
on that computer.

Thanks,
Derek Croxton