[Samba] Samba using local user/password file

Patrick Topping patrick.topping at hypermediasystems.com
Thu Dec 15 18:18:17 GMT 2005

I am trying to get samba to use its local users and passwords file and
not the UNIX /etc/password file.  Is this possible?  I would like to be
able to have users on the samba shares but not in the /etc/password
file.  If I am trying to do the impossible please let me know...  Thanks
in advance for any help.

-Patrick

ptopping at funky
[/etc/samba]$ sudo smbpasswd -a vcshare
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user vcshare. Does this user exist
in the UNIX password database ?
Failed to modify password entry for user vcshare