[Samba] Extremely slow Samba3 performance with ArcView/WinXP

Andreas Haumer andreas at xss.co.at
Wed Dec 14 14:18:43 GMT 2005

Hi All!

I would like to bring up this topic again as I still
have no solution for the problem :-(

Andreas Haumer schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> I have a user who is running a Samba server to store data
> files for his ArcView 3.3 application. Client operating
> system is Windows XP professional.
>
> With Samba2 (2.2.8a) this was working quite fine, it usually
> took less than a few seconds to load and render one of the
> GIS presentations with ArcView.
>
> We then did an upgrade to Samba3 (3.0.20b) and suddenly
> the same operation now takes more than 20 seconds or even
> minutes in some cases. You can even see the picture forming
> slowly on the screen. Other applications do not suffer from
> performance problems (The new Samba3 server is a really fast
> Dual Opteron server with 4GB of RAM and a fast external U320
> RAID running under Linux-2.4.31)
>
> I took a IP traffic dump with tcpdump and also samba logs
> with loglevel 10 and found that there are a _lot_ of small
> packets going between the WinXP client and the Samba3 server.

[...]

On the Samba mailing list I have found one report describing
(exactly?) the same problem I see: very slow read performance
with ArcView (only) and Samba due to very small packets beeing
transferred (see <http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/1998-May/007244.html>)

But this report was from May 6th, 1998 for Samba-1.9.18(!)
and the solution seemingly was to set the samba configuration
parameter "socket options = TCP_NODELAY", which I already
have set (as well as "SO_RCVBUF=8192" and "SO_SNDBUF=8192",
see the listing of global configuration settings in my