[Samba] New to Linux Samba client to Samba server - file owners / perms

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Tue Dec 13 15:10:10 GMT 2005

I just had need to try out the Samba Client for the first time, having it connect to our Samba 3 PDC. I noticed an interesting behavior I was not at all expecting, and wonder what the explanation
might be.

I was in the process of rescuing some data from an NTFS system with the INSERT CD, version 1.3.5a_en which comes with integrated Samba client and Captive for NTFS support. I used smbmount to attach to
the server, then zipped the data onto the server.

The files created on the server, doing ls -al from the client side, show root:root for the security, and rwxr-xr-x. That is not the create mask I have on the share! However, going over to the server
and checking the files, they are owned by the account I signed in to Samba with, and the create mask is properly 0777 which is what I had on that share.

So, why in the world is the Samba client showing AND ENFORCING different perms than actually got written to the filesystem on the server? I was expecting Linux client / server to be more in sync with
matching settings, but this seems far less in sync than connecting to our server with Win2K!

TIA for shining some light on details I have obviously missed.

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems