RESOLVED Re: [Samba] Upgrade Trouble w/ Samba 3.0.20b

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Sun Dec 11 11:57:26 GMT 2005

At 12/10/05 22:56, Craig White wrote:
>On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 22:29 -0600, Eric Hines wrote:
> 3.0.13 is

> as that

> > >----
> > >worse comes to worse, you can remove samba-vscan and then re-install it
> > >- get the source-rpm and edit the SPEC file either commenting out the
> > >dependency or changing the dependency to the updated samba rpms that you
> > >have installed (but of course it sets you up for having to deal with it
> > >again).
> > >
> > >My thinking is that the samba-vscan could ***probably*** be installed
> > >with --nodeps (never done it myself)
> > >
> > >NEVER use --force unless you are prepared to live with the consequences.
> > >
> > >Craig
> >
> > OK, here's where I expose my ignorance.  I did a find on samba-vscan (and
> > on samba-vscan-0.3.5-37.2 in particular), and nothing turned up.  The
> > source file is an rpm, also, so how do I remove the vscan module?
> >
>----
>rpm -e samba-vscan
>
>Do you use the samba-vscan module?
>
>Craig

Now that is brain dead to draw a blank like that....  Thanks for the pointer.

Ultimately, I will use the virus scanner, but for now I sit behind very
good hardware and software firewalls.  And my email is first read (for now)
on my Win2k PC, which has a virus scanner.  At that point I'll try the
--nodeps part and we'll both know.  And I assume that "virus" in this
context is used broadly to include trojans, worms, and all the other little
virtual critters we've invented, the better to plague ourselves.

Thanks for your help.

Eric Hines

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast
majority by adequate governmental action.
         --Bertrand Russell