[Samba] Q: concerning user "nobody" and Samba 3

Eric Roseme eroseme at emonster.rose.hp.com
Fri Dec 9 23:03:48 GMT 2005

Frank Schifferstein wrote:

>hi,
>
>we are running several HP-UX 11.23 servers with Samba 2.2.x and are
>starting a migration to Samba 3 and encounter several problems.
>

>As far as I understand this passage: (chapter 24, Upgrading from
>Samba-2.x to Samba-3.0.20)
>
>"The following issues are known changes in behavior between Samba-2.2
>and Samba-3 that may affect certain installations of Samba.
>
>When operating as a member of a Windows domain, Samba-2.2 would map any
>users authenticated by the remote DC to the "guest account" if a UID
>could not be obtained via the getpwnam() call. Samba-3 rejects the
>connection with the error message "NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE." There is no
>current workaround to re-establish the Samba-2.2 behavior. "
>

>the user nobody is not used anymore, and there is a need having unixuser
>account for every windowsuser account. I know, this is a general need,
>but for differerent purposes we configured "guest ok = yes" in some
>shares to allow the "guest" access to shares where the unixaccount is
>missung. Is my interpretation of the passage correct ? In case it is,
>does it refer to security = domain/ads only or is it valid for security
>= server as well (I know, security = server is not the preferred
>configuration).
>

>regards.... Frank Schifferstein

Hi Frank,

Are you using Opensource Samba or HP CIFS Server?

HP CIFS Server adds a unix user called smbnull (replacing nobody), and
by default "guest account = smbnull".  You should not have any problem
using "map to guest =" as John suggested.

If you are using HP CIFS Server, then there is some support-related
information that we should discuss (offline).

Eric Roseme
Hewlett-Packard