[Samba] Any downsides to using MS Services for Unix NIS server?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Dec 4 10:22:52 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 23:57 -0800, SAMBA wrote:
> Other than NIS is extremely insecure, and anyone concerned with security
> would not use it.  If you are using SFU, just use LDAP/Kerberos instead
> of NIS.  You'll get the same results, but with more security.

The main issues with NIS security (compared with unsigned LDAP
connections) is that passwords my be present in the tables.  This isn't
the case with the AD implementation anyway (I think you would need to
use Kerberos authentication, as there are no NIS compatible passwords in
AD, to my knowlege).

> You don't have to use IDMAP to have GID/UID based on SID.  You can
> manually enter it yourself as per design you're your network.  Also
> check out PADL NSS/PAM modules.  There's also I think some scripts for
> automating migration from NIS to LDAP.

In Samba, IDMAP is the plugin interface for assigning the UID/GID
mappings, and can be backed onto many sources, including attributes in
the AD LDAP server (that would be used by the SFU 3.5 NIS server).

I think you should be able to use winbindd, which assists with windows
clients (which expect SIDs), while still maintaining your centralised
mapping.  See idmap_ad.

Andrew Bartlett