[Samba] Samba PDC, ldap or mysql????

Mark Nehemiah mnehemiah at urschel.com
Thu Aug 25 16:48:46 GMT 2005

Hi all,
       I'm under the gun to rid ourselves of the nt4 PDC which we
currently use.  options are A/D, samba, pgina.  I really dig pgina,
but dont think I can pass citrix credentials properly :(  So I'm
left with samba vs A/D.  A/D is well,, ummmmm   A/D, so tyring to
avoid it.

Currently have used Samba file servers for years.
Have played with Samba PDC with2.2

Now, going to try Samba3 pdc.  Have about 300 users.

I'd really like to understand the advantages/disadvantages of ldap vs
mysql for backend.  Would like our other *windows admins* to be able to
add users,machines,groups etc. easily.

I think I'd like best to store in mysql, but want to know if there's any
functionality I'll miss using mysql instead of ldap.  seems ldap for
backend has been around a while.

I'd really like to hear from anyone using mysql for backend, or ldap

thanks
          Mark