[Samba] i10n question

kevinhsu_taipei kevinhsu_taipei at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 07:48:02 GMT 2005

Dear All,

I am using SCO OpenServer 6, and this is the Samba
version I am using :

[root@/]# testparm -V
Version 3.0.13-2sco-SCO

My question is that when I connect to Samba Server from Windows XP,
and create a directory (or files) in local language (traditional chinese),
it's OK to see this localized file or directory on another XP/98SE systems.

The characters look correctly from Windows sides, but if I do a login
into the UNIX box, and do a "ls" command, well, it displays the
characters I can't read..

This will cause my another problem when I need to backup these
files/directories. I can use tar command to archive them, but
it will give me checksum error when I un-tar the tarball...

I grep the charset set from "testparm" output :
        dos charset = CP850
        unix charset = UTF-8
        display charset = LOCALE
and can anyone tell me how I can configure Samba to let the
characters are created correctly on UNIX sides?

Or which packages I should install to avoid this i10n issue?

Any advice?

Thanks.
Regards,
Kevin