[Samba] Domain Member Server: Group Membership Updates

thilo.rees at continum.net thilo.rees at continum.net
Tue Aug 23 09:33:47 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Samba on HPUX (based on Samba 3.07):

There is a Windows 2003 Server (DC). The HPUX-Fileserver is configured as a Member of this Domain. I am Using Winbind to map users and groups. Everything works fine, the Users can access there files on the shares on the samba server. The Permissions are set in smb.conf by the domain group names.

Now I have a new Group, addes Users to that group and set a new share with permissions for that group. All members of this group cant access the share:

# ./wbinfo -g
BUILTIN\System Operators
BUILTIN\Replicators
BUILTIN\Guests
BUILTIN\Power Users
BUILTIN\Print Operators
BUILTIN\Administrators
BUILTIN\Account Operators
BUILTIN\Backup Operators
BUILTIN\Users
[...]
Testgroup

Wbinfo lists the group "testgroup"

I created a folder and set permissions to that group:

# ls -lad testshare
drwxrwx---   2 AdministratTestgroup       96 Aug 23 11:26 testshare

gid seems to be 20022:

# ls -land testshare
drwxrwx---   2 20000      20022           96 Aug 23 11:26 testshare

But the User t.rees, who is a member of this group on the domain-controller, is not known to be a member of this group by winbind:

# /opt/samba/bin/wbinfo -r t.rees
20000
20011
20013