[Samba] couldn't find service %u on 3.0.14a

Bill Witts samba at billwitts.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 20:28:05 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have an identical issue, hitting Win2K SP4, ever since upgrading to
Debian Sarge.

Here's an additional observation, and a workaround.

We have roving profiles, and on any user logging in or out, Samba creates a
profile directory called %u. That is, (for example) on logging out, instead
of writing back to a directory called /home/samba_profiles/fred, it creates
a new directory called /home/samba_profiles/%u, as though the variable
substitution is simply not happening, and writes the profile back there.

However, it doesn't appear to load this new profile (ie, it's not a
security breach!) and when a user logs in, we just get the "Cannot locate
your profile ..." alert.

Anyway, I found a workaround. My Unix usernames are the same as my NT
usernames. So I just changed %u to %U to see what happened, and the problem
has gone away.

I would guess that this'll give some big hints to anyone who is checking
through the code!

Cheers,

Bill