[Samba] Can't add a Win XP Pro SP 2 workstation to domain

Greg Lentz glentz at ma.org
Sun Aug 21 03:45:43 GMT 2005

We are running Mac OS X Server v. 10.4.2, which comes packaged with Samba 3.

The problem I am running into is that when I attempt to add a workstation
running Windows XP Service Pack 2 to the domain, it won't add the
workstation.  I can see that the machine account was added to SMB (in Mac
OS X, this is listed under Computer Account in Workgroup Manager), but
after I add the machine and then attempt to add the user (which is already
entered in the OS X database), I get the following error message.

The user could not be added because the following error occured:
The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

I understand from researching on the web that in the previous version of
Samba (2.2), there were some workarounds you had to do to get a Windows XP
machine to join a Samba domain, but my reading suggests that these
workarounds are not to be used for Samba 3.

Can someone enlighten me as to how to get around this problem?  I would be
extremely appreciative.
--
Greg Lentz
Technlogy Systems Manager