[Samba] HELP - Can't See the Forest for The TREES???

david rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Wed Aug 17 20:11:03 GMT 2005

Mates,

    I have configured samba 100 times, but this time, I'm doing something
increadibly stupid that I just cannot see. Please HELP! I'm about to
jump......

    Background,

    Old samba sever (nemesis) being replaced with new one (bonza). Both are
up and operating. All networking is OK, Name resolution is fine, etc. The
problem is that all users can see all the shares on the new machine (bonza)
just fine. They can map and browse their home share, but *cannot* browse any
of the other shares. I on the other hand, as admin user, can connect and
browse the shares just fine. All users have unix accounts and entries in the
smbpasswd file. All access groups are set up. All users can run "net view
\\bonza" from the dos prompt and see all shares. The permissions of the
shares are:

[root at bonza samba]# ls -l
total 36
drw-rw----   3 root bertin    4096 Aug 13 10:54 bertin/
drw-rw----   8 root ochiltree 4096 Aug 11 23:58 closed/
drw-rw----   4 root ochiltree 4096 Aug 13 10:47 computer/
drw-rw----  34 root ochiltree 4096 Aug 15 22:52 forms/
drw-rw----   3 root guillory  4096 Aug 13 10:54 guillory/
drw-rw----   5 root ochiltree 4096 Aug 16 23:31 joint/
drw-rw----   3 root ochiltree 4096 Aug 13 10:54 office/
drw-rw----   3 root rankin    4096 Aug 13 10:54 rankin/
drw-rw----   3 root ochiltree 4096 Mar 16 17:27 visionary/

Now, here is the problem I encounter with the smbclient test when attempting
to connect as another user:

[leah at Nemesis /home]$ smbclient -U% -L bonza
Domain=[RB_LAW] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.13]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        config          Disk      Admin Config Share
        office          Disk      Shared Office Files
        rankin          Disk      Rankin Law Firm PLLC
        bertin          Disk      Darren Bertin
        guillory        Disk      David Guillory
        jointcases      Disk      Joint Client Files
        lawtools        Disk      Case Development - Summation
        forms           Disk      Shared Forms and Briefs
        computer        Disk      Computer Drivers and Software
        closed          Disk      Rankin Law Firm PLLC
        print$          Disk
        pdf-gen         Printer   PDF Generator (only valid users)
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server 3.0.13)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server 3.0.13)
Domain=[RB_LAW] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.13]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        BONZA                Samba Server 3.0.13
        NEMESIS              RB_LAW Samba Server 3.0.7

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        RB_LAW               NEMESIS

[leah at Nemesis /home]$ smbclient '\\bonza\rankin'
Password:
Domain=[RB_LAW] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.13]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
[leah at Nemesis /home]$

I've even set the share permissions as 0777 and still no joy. This is
killing me. I really can't see the forest for the trees. Can anybody see
what I'm doing stupidly wrong??? I have worked chapter 12 DIAGNOSIS in Using
Samba and I'm still stuck.

My smb.conf is shown below. Thank you for any help.

Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[config]"
Processing section "[office]"
Processing section "[rankin]"
Processing section "[bertin]"
Processing section "[guillory]"
Processing section "[jointcases]"
Processing section "[lawtools]"
Processing section "[forms]"
Processing section "[computer]"
Processing section "[closed]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[pdf-gen]"
Global parameter printcap name found in service section!
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = RB_LAW
        server string = Samba Server %v
        map to guest = Bad User
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
        printcap name = cups
        show add printer wizard = No
        domain logons = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 192.168.7.14
        printer admin = @adm
        hosts allow = 192.168.7., 127., 66.76.63.120

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No