[Samba] LDAP suffixes

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Aug 17 16:05:48 GMT 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 09:30:31AM -0600, John H Terpstra wrote:
> It is sufficient to specify:
>
> 	ldap suffix = dc=foobar,dc=biz
> 	ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
> 	ldap user suffix = ou=People
> 	ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
> 	ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
>
> Samba will take care of the catenation. These will all be expanded correctly.
> For example the 'ldap user suffix' will be expanded to:
>
> 	ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers,dc=foobar,dc=biz

Over here I have a dead tree copy of Samba-3 by Example
which says on in Chapter 6, paragraph 3.5
LDAP Initialization and Creation of User Group Accounts

   NOTE

    ... By placing all machine accounts  in the People
    container, we were able to side-step this bug.

So it seems the bug, that prevents samba from being able to search the LDAP
database for computer accounts if they are placed in the Computers
container, is gone.

My questions:

* the version with the bug, did they work with

 	ldap suffix = dc=foobar,dc=biz
 	ldap user suffix = ou=People
 	ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers,ou=People

in smb.conf succesfull?

* In which version was the bug fixed?

Cheers
Geert Stappers