[Samba] Urgent RHL Samba problem update

Paul Dudley pdudley at anl.com.au
Sat Aug 13 04:17:51 GMT 2005

We have Red Hat linux 3.0 ES.

We had samba set up so that it would authenticate against the linux
password file/database. That is the set up we have had here for the past
two years, firstly with RH linux ES 2.1 and now with RH linux ES 3.0.
Our users have Windows XP/2000 PC's, and when they would use the net use
command on their PC (or mount network drives via Windows Explorer) it
would prompt them for a username and password. They would then enter the
same username and password that they would use to login to the linux
server. When their linux password aged every 3 months and forced them to
create a new password, they would then have to use that new password to
mount the network drive. All this was done with no entries for the users
in the smbpasswd file. Plain text password is enabled in the registry
settings on the PC's.

I downloaded upgrades for this server from the Red Hat website and
installed them, including samba upgrades.

Now users cannot mount network drives from this server onto their PC's.

I upgraded to samba-3.0.9-1.3E.3 and users are now getting "system error

1326 has occurred - logon failure unknown username or password".

The previous version of samba on this server was samba-3.0.0-14.3E.

I found the rpms for samba-3.0.0-14.3E on a website

http://download.atrpms.net/mirrors/scientific/305/i386/errata/obsolete/R
PMS/

I downloaded them, stopped the samba service, uninstalled
samba-3.0.9-1.3E.3 then re-installed samba-3.0.0-14.3E and restarted the
samba service but I am still getting the same error.

We changed the security setting in smb.conf to security = share but now
when users mount network drives it does not prompt them for a username
or password but instead mounts the network drive as user nobody.

Maybe there is a setting in the smb.conf file that can be changed back,
or maybe if I restore the contents of the /etc/samba directory (or any
other relevant directory or files) that may fix the problem.

Can any samba experts out there advise?

Paul Dudley

ANL IT Operations Dept.

pdudley at anl.com.au